We have seen a good number of people who experience hip pain while squatting.
Well, this might be as a result of some health conditions which would be made known to you in this article today.
As we all know that squatting is one of those many unavoidable activities we do every day. It is either you’re squatting to lift something from the ground/get something done or you are doing some workouts.
In most cases, we might be forced to squat while working out. But in a situation you begin to feel some hip pain, then you should know something is wrong somewhere.
Hip pain while squatting can make one feel so uncomfortable thereby leading to the inability to carry out some major activities.
Therefore, the next subhead should let you know the causes of hip pain while squatting. So relax your nerves and go through them.
Causes of Hip Pain While Squatting
Well, I mentioned earlier that hip pain while squatting could be as a result of some health conditions. Anyway don’t worry, this section should cover all the possible causes of pain while squatting.
- Impingement – This is a condition where the bones in the hip joint meet at the right spot. Thereby leading to pains in that area and sometimes having difficulty in sitting.
Impingement can also be referred to as Femoroacetabular Impingement (FAI).
- Hip Mobility – A situation where the muscles around your hip and waist are not mobile enough. You are likely to experience some difficulty while squatting. This is common among those people that don’t exercise regularly.
However, this pain may also extend to the groin area.
- Bad Posture – Here is another common cause of hip pain while squatting. When you have a bad posture, there is a high probability that your lower back might get weaken.
This will lead to the exerting pressure on your hips which will eventually lead to pains and strains your hip.
- Osteoarthritis – This is a condition whereby there is no adequate blood flowing to the thigh area of the body.
This will cause the bones and the hip areas to become weak and also cause some swelling in the area.
The condition is sometimes referred to as Avascular Necrosis.
- Ankle Mobility – When the ankle is not mobile enough, it can also lead to pains in the hip while squatting. Meanwhile, you are expected to feel some pain in the knee and ankle region too.
- Hip Flexor Strain – This is another popular cause of pains around the hips and groin area while squatting.
This usually occurs whenever the hips flexor muscles have been strained to a level where it becomes tender and weak.
- Hip Bursitis – This is a health condition whereby inflammation occurs in the hip region of the body.
This can cause some pains whenever you attempt to do some squatting or trying to fold up your knees. Therefore, bursitis is another cause of pains in the hip while squatting.
What to Do When You Feel Pains While Squatting
We have been able to bring out some of the causes of hip pain while squatting.
Now let’s quickly go through some steps to take after noticing any pain in the hip region, the thigh and the lower abdomen.
- You should go for X – Scan
- Bone scan
- CT Scan
- MRI/MRA Scan
By the time you have successfully passed through these stages above. You must have known how the kind of treatment approach to be used.
Treatment for Hip Pain While Squatting
There are different approaches to these treatments depending on the actual cause of the pain.
Don’t worry, some of these approaches would be explained as you read through?
So, check them out below;
- The use of drugs – Pain relievers like Ibuprofen is sometimes recommended for hip pain. Meanwhile, other anti-inflammatory drugs might be added too.
- The use of supportive braces – This is required in a more critical condition because it will aid the functionalities of the hips.
- Surgical Operation – In a situation whereby you have tried several methods to treat the hip pains, there is a high probability that the hip was inflamed.
Therefore, one of the recommended ways to remove the inflamed bursae is through surgery.
Surgical operations are also required for some other conditions like joint replacement, bone reshaping, bone grafts, and core decompression.
- Doing Some Stretching and Exercises – No doubt doing some exercise will help you build some muscles but in the case of hip pain, you are advised to see your medical doctor.
He will recommend the kind of stretches and exercises you are expected to do.
- Doing Hip Flexion Exercise – This is one of the most recommended exercises that strengthen your hips. You should follow the instructions below for this exercise to be completed.
- You should be in a standing position
- Place your hand on the wall and rest your weight on your legs.
- Slowly raise the second leg to the level of your hips while your knee is bent.
- You should allow your knees remain bent while you lower it slowly.
- Return leg back to its initial position.
- Repeat the whole process for the second leg
- Do this for about 7 to 10 times for each leg.
- Hip Extension – This is another wonderful exercise that makes your hip stronger. Below is a quick guide.
- Be in a standing position
- Place a chair in front of and hold on to it.
- Left one of your legs backwards without bending your knees
- Hold on to that position for some second while your buttocks remain squeezed.
- Return you to your initial position
- Repeat the whole process for about 7 to 10 times.
Conclusion – Hip Pain While Squatting
Based on everything that has been said above, we can conclude that most of the causes of hip pains while squatting is a result of some health complications.
Therefore, you are advised to see the doctor whenever you experience such kind of pain.
Meanwhile, there are other people online search for the causes and treatments for hip pains while squatting, you should use the social share button for this article to get to them.
Have you ever experienced hip pains while squatting? Share your thoughts in the comment section below!